DONATE

DONATE ON Edwin-E's Guitar Tabs / Tutorials

Guitar Setup: Action or String Height Adjustment on Acoustic Guitar



Edwin here again and this is another DIY adjustment on my guitar. This time, I worked on my Takamine G340S G Series acoustic guitar.  I was a little bit not satisfied with the guitar action (string height) of this guitar. After playing this guitar for a couple of weeks, I noticed that the action was too high for me. I decided to make some adjustment on the saddle to make the action a little bit lower. I am not an expert guitar tech or luthier. I just learned doing this by watching some YouTube video tutorials on guitar setup.

I took a chance and sanded down the bridge saddle.  After sanding the saddle, the string height of the 6th string on the 12th fret was reduced.  It was measured at 3.5mm before and then it dropped down to approximately 3.0 mm. I knew that this was still high but I stopped at that point since I was worried that if I continued sanding there might be fret buzz problem afterwards and there was no going back.   For my first attempt on working on saddle, I think it was a success DIY after all. I was able to achieve the guitar playability that I wanted for now.  Although 3mm was still a little bit high.  And I learned later that it is better to set it about 2.5mm or less without causing any fret buzz.  Watch the video for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment